Self Directed Support

What is Self Directed Support?

Self Directed Support is about you having choice and control over your life and support needs and the support that you require to assist you to remain independent while living in your own house or other community setting. Independent Living is about freedom, choice, dignity and control. ‘Choice’ is about what you want to do and where you want to live and have ‘Control’ over who provides you with the support. We want to encourage people to have real choice and control in all areas of their life.

Who can receive Self Directed Support?

Any person, service user or carer, who is assessed by Social Work Services, and meets the Council’s Eligibility Criteria to receive support, can ask to manage that support using Self Directed Support options.

There may be some circumstances, when Self Directed Support, in general, or particular options will not be offered to an individual. For example, Self Directed Support may not be suitable in particular circumstances where there are concerns about Adult or Child Protection. If you are assessed as not being suitable for Self Directed Support the reasons for this decision will be fully explained and given to you in writing.

What are the Self Directed Support options?

Option 1 – The Council provides you with a direct payment. This money will be used by you to buy support.

Option 2 – You choose the support you require and request that the Council makes arrangements to provide and pay for this support on your behalf.

Option 3 – You ask the Council to choose the support you require, and to make arrangements to provide and pay for this on your behalf.

Option 4 – you choose a combination of Options 1, 2 and 3 for each type of support identified within your Support Plan.

What will I have to do?

Ask for an Assessment:

You will be involved in an assessment of your needs. Some people already know what they need and feel happy to discuss this with their Social Worker. Other people may need the support of someone to talk through the issues surrounding their support needs. You may choose to involve a carer, family member, friend or the local Advocacy Service in the assessment process.

Support Plan:

We will work with you during the assessment process to identify your goals and outcomes. From this, we will develop a Support Plan. Your Support Plan will set out your choices of support to help you meet the agreed goals and outcomes identified in your assessment. Your Support Plan will show:

> How you intend to achieve your outcomes

> How much this will cost

> Who is responsible for providing or arranging the support you require

> How any risks will be managed

It will also identify your back up emergency plans.

Choose an Option:

When your Support Plan has been agreed you will be able to choose the Self Directed Support option that you feel will best suit your circumstances. If you feel that your chosen option is not working for you, you can contact us to discuss changing your current arrangements.

Will I have to pay anything?

You may be asked to pay part of the cost towards your support and transport. This depends on the type of care service you are assessed as needing and also on how much income and savings you have. If you have to pay something towards your care, the amount will be the same irrespective of the Self Directed Support option that you choose.

How can I find out more about Self Directed Support?

If you are already in receipt of support or care services funded or delivered by East Dunbartonshire Council you can contact your Care Manager for more information about Self Directed Support.

If you are not in receipt of care and support but would like to discuss this further please contact us - details on our Contact page.

You can also find information about Self Directed Support on East Dunbartonshire Council’s website at